Moisture sensors

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Sat Apr 15 14:41:04 MDT 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Dave Smith wrote:
> I've been wanting something like this to play with anyway, so maybe this'll
> be my excuse to buy one! :)
>
> Any idea how I could hook up a moisture sensor to it? With 8 analog inputs,
> does this mean that I could theoretically connect 8 moisture sensors?

That's just with the analog inputs brought out to screw terminals.  I picked
the atmega32 because something like 31 of its pins can be set up as general
purpose I/O pins.

If you just want to know if your sensor is under water, simple resistance is
probably sufficient.  I just put my ohmmeter probes into a bowl of tap water,
about 1/4" apart, and got about 30k ohms; trivial to sense with the
gadgetboard.

 						-J