Moisture sensors

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Apr 15 14:07:36 MDT 2006

Has anyone here ever setup a sensor under Linux to detect moisture or
some other anomaly in the home or office? I own a pretty old house and
have had the basement flood a couple times, for differing reasons. The
flooding wouldn't be a big deal if we could catch it early, so I'd like
to setup a few moisture sensors around the basement's most worrisome
areas (toilets, drains, etc), and hook them up to a
"Linux-box-in-the-closet" to alert me if moisture is ever detected.
Anyone have any ideas?

--Dave