wireless router suggestion

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Apr 14 09:02:41 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 08:52 -0600, Sterling Jacobson wrote:
> In our ISP we have a customer call in with router failure about every other day - seriously.
>
> One of the better ones we've found for a decent price is the Linksys WRT54GL. I believe you can flash the firmware with a few different open source versions that give you plenty of functionality.
>
> The WRT54G and GS series suck eggs now that Cisco changed the hardware platform in them. Netgears participate in broadcast storms, Belkins and DLinks are ok, but have a high failure rate too it seems.

Agreed.  Another good linksys choice, though is the WRTSL54GS, which not
only has a big chunk of flash, but also has a usb port that you can
attach any mass storage device (or any usb device that linux supports).
>From the factory it runs Samba among other services.  Openwrt is
supported on it, opening up a lot of possibilities.  Plus it is not much
more than the WRT54GL, which is, in my opinion a very bad deal as they
took the router that used to cost under $50 and jacked up the price to
$80 (just because it still runs linux).

Don't expect much from linksys from now on.  Cisco is not a consumer-
friendly company and they certainly don't care about any platform
besides Windows.  They have good enterprise products but their stupidity
regarding windows is mind-boggling.

Check the openwrt supported hardware list.  That can give you a good
indication of what's available.  http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

Michael