DSL Modem/Router Combo

Dallin Jones squitoey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:42:45 MDT 2006

> You know as crappy as the actiontec router that Qwest provides looks
> from a spec sheet.  In Rock Springs when I worked for Wyoming
> Analytical Labs, that was what they used when I got there and after my
> initial objections, I learned to actually like it alot.  It does a
> fine job, and there is something to be said sanity wise for using the
> same HW in all of your facilities.

The only beef I have with Actiontec routers and modems, are that their
site filtering leaves a lot to be desired (basically the have none) at
least on the ones I have dealt with in the past. If they have some
better ones, whichs ones work best? In my dream world, I would like to
be able to set up a white list of sites that can be visited... The
rest get rejected and blocked. I am half tempted to set something up
with OpenWRT and some WRT54GL (Linksys) and the use standard Linux
apps. I wonder if they support what I am looking at... Back to google.

> Now with Utopia you don't actually get a modem, you get the standard
> router they provide, it has 3 or 4 ports depending on the model (All
> of them I have seen are from Allied Telesync), and is hardwired
> whereever they bring the fiber into the building.  It also has a phone
> jack for phone services.
> However you could stick another actiontec router (non DSL) in between
> it and your Utopia provided one.  This would give you a common
> interface, for handling things like firewall and NAT issues, since the
> Utopia router does not provide NAT (or if it does I have yet to figure
> out how).

So it is sounding like I need to go with multiple models rather than
being able to get a single model and then set up a configuration file
I can just blast them with.