DSL Modem/Router Combo

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:13:37 MDT 2006

You know as crappy as the actiontec router that Qwest provides looks
from a spec sheet.  In Rock Springs when I worked for Wyoming
Analytical Labs, that was what they used when I got there and after my
initial objections, I learned to actually like it alot.  It does a
fine job, and there is something to be said sanity wise for using the
same HW in all of your facilities.

Now with Utopia you don't actually get a modem, you get the standard
router they provide, it has 3 or 4 ports depending on the model (All
of them I have seen are from Allied Telesync), and is hardwired
whereever they bring the fiber into the building.  It also has a phone
jack for phone services.
However you could stick another actiontec router (non DSL) in between
it and your Utopia provided one.  This would give you a common
interface, for handling things like firewall and NAT issues, since the
Utopia router does not provide NAT (or if it does I have yet to figure
out how).

Thats what I would do if I knew in advance that I would be using
Utopia in some facilities and Qwest in others, assuming of course
Qwest would be available in more of my locations than Utopia.

Regards,
Steve