WWW 2.0 Was: Re: Pete Ashdown at BYU

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Apr 13 08:06:05 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 06:30 -0600, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Seriously though.  What is Web 2.0?  Someone's idea for the next
> version of the www?

This is a great read on the topic that made me laugh:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/web3point0

<bq>
“Were you at the Web 2.0 conference?” the arriving man asked, by way of
thanking the other for saving his place. The kindly schmoe signified in
the negative. This was all the encouragement our man needed to launch
into an adjective-rich and fact-poor monologue that was loud enough for
half the room to hear.

It soon appeared that “Web 2.0” was not only bigger than the Apocalypse
but also more profitable. Profitable, that is, for investors like the
speaker. Yet the new gold rush must not be confused with the dot-com
bubble of the 1990s:

“Web 1.0 was not disruptive. You understand? Web 2.0 is totally
disruptive. You know what XML is? You’ve heard about well-formedness?
Okay. So anyway—”
</bq>

--
Gabriel Gunderson