Re: SSH hank attempts… bad?

Wade Preston Shearer lists at wadeshearer.com
Tue Apr 11 23:27:25 MDT 2006

> I just move the SSH port to something really far off the beaten path
> I used to get >2000+ failed attempts per day.
> I've had no problems with those (other than me mistyping my password),
> since then.

Alright, so I followed everyone's advice and a tutorial I found [1]
and locked things down much tighter. After changing the ssh port I am
unable to log in though. I restarted the sshd daemon and opened that
port in iptables.

I am trying to log in with:

The command that I tried to use to open the port is:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --destination-port <new port -j
ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

A friend said that FC3's are in /etc/sysconfig/ though, so I tried:

/etc/sysconfig/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --destination-port 22 -
j ACCEPT
/etc/sysconfig/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

…but get a permission denied error… which is strange because I was
running the command as root.

Anyone have any ideas what I am missing?

[1] http://aymanh.com/tips-to-secure-linux-workstation