Redhat buys JBoss...

Scott Pepperdine spepper at byu.net
Mon Apr 10 17:35:04 MDT 2006

The FreeBSD & Java discussion was with me.  If I remember correctly, we
concluded that Sun probably didn't want to license java to FreeBSD
because of the competition FreeBSD would present to openSolaris.

I'm not an expert on these things, but of all the open source operating
systems I've played with I was probably most impressed by FreeBSD.
Being on a Linux list I should mention that this is not a criticism of
Linux.  In fact, it was the community and release philosophy of FreeBSD
that attracted me the most.  More 'business-like', or similar to my
background, which is AS/400, iSeries, i5, whatever marketing name IBM
comes up with next.  I like the coordination that happens between the OS
releases and the ports.  It seems to be less of the 'fly by the seat of
your pants' environment that the Linux folks enjoy.  Now, lest anyone be
offended, these are just the perceptions of an outsider.  So don't make
me have to buy asbestos suits.

So Bryan, thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I had left FreeBSD
behind because I need Java support on my servers.  I'll look at it again
now.