Latency Concerns

David B bavibs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 21:54:49 MDT 2006

You can run a traceroute, then setup several ping's running to different
hops along the way.

Next run a speed test, eg lax.speakeasy.net and see if you have packet
loss while the ping test is going.
Here is a ping command to use "ping  -s  1000  <first hop IP>"
You can also do a ping flood but make sure to use the "count" option, eg
"ping -f -c 100 <first hop>"
You should have less then 1% packet loss and hopefully less then 100ms
for the first hop to your ISP.

The delay is highly dependant on the technology your connection is
using.  Your first hop to your ISP is where lots of the problems come
from.   school/ethernet hub/colo < iprovo < utopia < airswitch AFcity <
comcast < sdsl/T1 <5ghz wireless, adsl< 2.4 wireless < satelite, sprint
wireless