Latency Concerns

Corey Edwards tensai at
Sun Apr 9 20:50:54 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 18:52 -0600, Steve wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have an online game I've been playing and lately I've been getting
> prolonged Black Skulls of Death (Black Skull that pops up when latency
> begins to exceed a certain threshold).
> Problem is I would like to figure out. If it's my ISP or something to
> do with the Game Server.
> Since I have root on the game server I can run basically any test imaginable.
> Just curious what tests I could run to see if it's my ISP or the ISP
> of the Game Server

I would recommend running it on both sides (your client and the game
server) monitoring local links (client/server <-> ISP next hop router)
and end-to-end (client <-> server). Four monitors in total. You might
run into issues if your ISP blocks direct communication with their
routers. Cross your fingers.

You could also consider a game which is less concerned with latency. :)