Appropriate JavaScript [Was: CSS dilemma ..]

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Sat Apr 8 16:49:26 MDT 2006

Doran Barton wrote:
> For maximum usability you should always use JavaScript sparingly and
> only in ways that do not disrupt the usability of your site/application
> or prevent graceful degradation. Always think of the user who is using
> links/lynx, a PDA/phone, or an ancient version of NS/IE.

Please forgive me for replying to myself, but I wanted to clarify: Not
every site/application requires maximum usability. For example, if
you're an artist and you want a site that provides a media-rich,
immersive experience for visitors, then it makes sense to compromise
usability and incorporate JavaScript, Flash, QuickTime, etc.

  "For Sale. Three canaries of undermined sex."
     -- Seen in a newspaper ad