Database Dilemma... Please help.

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Fri Apr 7 17:33:14 MDT 2006

 > MySQL's clustering capabilities are limited to databases that fit in RAM.
 > Will the database fit in RAM?

That automagic clustering code (NDB) is still very much experimental. I have a
strong suspicion it may stay that way for a while - at least I have not seen
very strong evidence to the contrary so far. Ignore it for at least another year
as far as practical clustering solutions are concerned.

MySQL can cluster with regular tables, although not automagically. You need to
write your application code with multiple servers in mind, which is not that
hard to do from the start, but near impossible if you already have an
application not built for it. However, if you do not have an application yet,
this should not be a problem.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting