Database Dilemma... Please help.

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Thu Apr 6 14:25:59 MDT 2006

Tyler Strickland wrote:

> On 04/06/2006 11:35 AM, Blake B. wrote:
>
>> On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Nick Barker wrote:
>>
>>> The question is how wide are your rows and how well do you index.
>>> Personally I find this the biggest issue on speed with any database.
>>> Good luck finding someone that has 100 million records.  I cannot help
>>> you there.
>>

>> Craigslist has 100,000,000 rows in their archive database.  They list
>> it in this case study:
>> http://www.mysql.com/it-resources/case-studies/mysql-craigslist-casestudy.pdf
>

> You might check out the case study page as well - it references, for
> example, a system at Cox with 2 billion+ rows.
>
> --Tyler

You might also consider having enterprise class support for MySQL for
1/3 the price of what will only buy you a copy of Microsoft's database:

https://shop.mysql.com/network.html?rz=s1

If you have "unsupported" questions or issues, like "performance", you
will likely pay extra for support with Microsoft.

I agree with previous posts about MS-SQL and MySQL probably being equal
in performance.  But, you will get much better support with MySQL both
from the open source community info on the web and professional
support.  Remember the business model of OSS is based on support, it's
the only way these guys make money.  Paid MySQL training and support
will far surpass Microsoft training and support, (and be much less).

How I know this:

I did escalation support for Microsoft for three years.
I have done plenty of MS-SQL and MySQL projects.
The VoIP startup I am currently working for has 1,285,654 records in one
MySQL database and 552,764 in another on the same server.  Though this
is far below your hundreds of millions of records, we are looking at the
same future needs as you are.

Careful planning of tables, config, pruning etc, (as suggested before),
should do the trick.  I would definitely recommend what you have all
ready suggested: contact MySQL.  The sales team will bend over back
wards to take care of you if you tell them what kind of support you will
need.  MySQL tools are many, free and easier to use than MS-SQLs (in my
opinion).

If, in the future, money becomes no object, Oracle may be the way to
go.  I haven't had much chance to play with MySQL 5.0 yet, but if what I
hear about it is true, it may even be a better choice than Oracle in the
future.

Thanks everyone for your input, this has answered some questions for me
as well.

Just my 2 cents,

Ed Felt