Database Dilemma... Please help.

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Apr 6 12:32:41 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 12:07 -0600, Jason Jones wrote:
> I've personally never handled any OSS db with more than a couple hundred
> thousand rows TOTAL, (but have around 3 years exp. handling many various
> smaller dbs) and am kind of twitchy about what's going to happen with our db
> as it grows exponentially to hundreds of millions of rows.

FWIW, I have a MySQL 3.23 database with a few million rows. It keeps the
accounting logs for our RADIUS server. We prune it every 6 months or so
just to keep disk usage to a minimum, and since we don't need the data
online after that long. The thing runs like a champ. We're using MySQL
replication to mirror the whole database over to a second server and
that works like a charm too.

> Hardware is not an issue.  Disk space is not an issue.  The only issue is
> whether MySQL (or PostgreSQL) can be properly configured to handle hundreds
> of millions of rows per table without hacking it into some slashdot-esque
> frankenstein configuration.

It seems to me that the real issue is proper schema and index design.
Extensive use of the explain command will help there. A good DBA really
needs to know his databases inside and out.

Note also that there are a number of memory options in my.cnf which will
affect your overall performance. A database tuned to be small will run
like crap with tons of data in it, and vice-versa.

Corey