VOIP

Barry Roberts blr at www.robertsr.us
Thu Apr 6 09:37:36 MDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:10:51AM -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:

> So here is my dilemma.  I have had two friends suggest using BroadVoice.
>  I then spoke with one of those friends on the phone.  I was very
> disappointed.  His voice sounded like a tin can, and every third word
> was dropped.  He says he is also using Comcast for Internet.  I am okay
> with cell phone quality, but this is several levels down from that.  Is
> this what I am to expect?  Is there anything that can be done about the
> quality?

Before I cancelled my old phone, I got an account from Arrival Telecom
(http://arrivaltel.com).  I've been using both for 2-3 weeks now.  The
Arrival line sounds great.  They have a nice $10/mo plan, and they
will sell you an unlocked PAP2 or RT31P2.

The setup was as easy as Vonage (they pre-config the router for you),
and I just picked it up in Orem the day I ordered it.  I suggested a
"no-solicitation" feature, and they implemented it within a day or
2. I also got 2 iax trunks for outbound calling with my asterisk pbx.
They're a small local company, they know what they're doing, and they
are very responsive.  Highly recommended

> My second question is that I don't want to replace my current phone
> system with SIP phones.  I would prefer to get a phone adapter.  What is
> a good high quality phone adapter?  The one that I thought was nice was
> the Cisco 168 [1].  The one my friend was using was the Linksys PAP2.
> When I looked for the PAP2 it said it requires Vonage?  What phone
> adapter device has worked best for you?

I got the RT31P2, and I like it.  I researched it and found that at
least LinkSys (maybe other VOIP router makers) only sell unlocked
routers to VOIP providers.  You can buy unlocked ones on eBay, but
they were expensive last time I looked.  I think Sipura uses some of
the same chips as Linksys, but you can buy unlocked routers.  See
http://voip-info.org for lists of manufacturers.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts