Emacs-- batch mode / lisp command files

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Apr 5 14:15:37 MDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:27:39AM -0600, justin gedge wrote:
> I figured out batch/command files in emacs a few months ago- needed it
> again today and thought it was worth sharing on the plug.  For those who
> have wanted/needed to automate edits in emacs [but don't have the 4
> hours to research] this should get you running in 5-10 minutes!!!

Thanks, very useful. Think about expanding it into a HOWTO for the
Linux Documentation Project or for the Emacs Wiki.

One thing I would wonder about is whether it would call your ~/.emacs
as it loads, which could be quite time consuming. If so, you might
write up how to avoid it; if not, how to invoke it.

A large part of building emacs is done by exactly this method, so it's
well tested. That may also explain why the docs are written for those
who don't need the docs.