Ultimate PVR? - difference between the WinTV 150 and 250

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Mon Apr 3 16:03:43 MDT 2006

Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 03:34:52PM -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
>> Any idea what the difference between the WinTV 150 and WinTV 250 is?

Okay, I contacted Hauppauge to get the official answer, so in case
anyone else was curious here is the difference between the WinTV 150 and
250:

From: Kenneth Burgener
What is the difference between the WinTV PVR 150 and 250?  New egg lists
the 150 for $89 and the 250 for $129.  What is the $40 difference?
From: Bill V. <bvoccia at hauppauge.com>
he main difference is the IR blaster remote is used with the PVR 150,
where the 250 uses the standard IR remote, and that the 150, being a
newer model is less expensive to manufacture.
From: Kenneth Burgener
does this mean the IR blaster remote or standard IR remote is better?
What is the difference?  What is the quality difference between the two
cards?  Is there really any reason to spend the $40 more for the 250, if
the 150 is a newer and better model?
From: Bill V. <bvoccia at hauppauge.com>
Quality wise and capture functions, there is not any difference. The IR
blaster supports some set top boxes, so it can be used to change
channels when using a set top box configuration. The only reason
otherwise is the 150 is newer and cheaper to manufacture.

Kenneth