Remotely accessible subversion help

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Apr 3 14:21:27 MDT 2006

Steve wrote:
> Yes thank you I'm accutely aware of that...
> What we have here is a misunderstanding of what I'm asking...
> I have 2 seperate repos I'm working with
> Once is publicly accessible and is mapped to my website, it is gotten
> to via http and works like a champ.

Yes we do have a misunderstanding.

> The NON public repository is on the same physical box, in a different
> location on the harddrive and is being served up by svnserve.  Problem
> is that one appears to be inaccesible, even though svnserve is running
> and I am trying to get at it using
> svn checkout svn://myname@myip/pathto/myrepo

Ahh, I see.  You are trying to use svnserve.  I don't think we
understood that.

> Login seems to work well, but the problem is that I keep getting
> errors that appear to me anyways to indicate that the repository is
> not there.
>
> However I can access that exact same repository by logging into the
> physical server and issuing
> svn checkout file:///pathto/myrepo

To troubleshoot svnserve, we need to know the parameters you used to
start it.

Assuming you did nothing other than running "svnserve -d"...
You need to specify the entire path to the repository.
svn://dishmal@69.60.117.0/home/dishmal/.svn

Also it is very important that the user running svnserve not be root,
but be a user that has read and write access to the files in that folder.

Additionally you need to ensure you have
/path/to/repos/conf/svnserve.conf configured correctly, and the user(s)
added appropriately.

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06s03.html for more details on
this type of subversion access.

--lonnie