Remotely accessible subversion help

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Apr 3 13:56:59 MDT 2006

Steve wrote:
> I have my SSH on an off port to help prevent dictionary style attacks.
> But shouldn't svn:// be all thats needed or is svn+ssh strictly nessecary?

The scheme in the URL here indicates what protocol to access the repository.

svn:// - requires an _svnserve_ daemon running on port 3690

svn+ssh:// - requires ssh access, and the path is usually relative to
the root.  Usually runs over port 22

file:// - requires the repos to be locally available, or mounted via
NFS, SMB, etc.

http:// - requires apache to be setup with the proper modules, etc.
Runs over port 80 or 443 if SSL is used.

--lonnie