fc5 problem (can't mount spare hd)

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Sun Apr 2 20:34:47 MDT 2006

Barry Roberts wrote:
> I've installed FC5 on several machines since last week, and my desktop
> at home is the biggest problem I've had so far.
>
> I have a 200GB drive that mounts just fine in OpenSUSE 10 and fc4, but
> in fc5 I get:
>
> [blr at scooby ~]$ sudo mount /mnt/video/
> mount: /dev/hdc1 is not a valid block device
>
> from /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdc1               /mnt/video             ext3    defaults        0 0

One of our techs had some problems with his /dev/hdc on FC5 as well. His
problem was solved by reinstalling FC4 and doing an upgrade to FC5 instead of
a clean install.

What FC5 was doing was not accessing /dev/hdc properly. Instead it was
accessing the drive via device files in /dev/mapper or /dev/dm-X. Very
strange stuff. He could do an 'fdisk -l' on /dev/hdc just fine, but the
'mdadm' tool (he was making a RAID1 array between /dev/hda and /dev/hdc)
refused to acknowledge the existence of /dev/hdc or any of its partitions.

-=Fozz
  "Please fasten seatbelt to prepare for crash."
     -- Seen in a car in Japan