This is just priceless

Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Sat Apr 1 10:54:58 MST 2006

Hey

I keep thinking I need to submit a wtf...

A former developer did not "like" to modify the database schema. So he
would look for an unused field whenever he needed a new column to a
table in the db. That didn't always work, so he started *overloading*
existing columns. We started finding "rules" like this:

"If the middle name field contains a colon character then the text
before the colon is the middle name and the text after it is the user's
license number."

I still can't get over this. I want to slap my forehead every time I
think about it. Code like that made it into production somehow... yikes.

Brad