Email using domainkeys and spf

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Fri Sep 30 21:35:35 MDT 2005

Thus said Gabriel Gunderson on Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:11:18 MDT:

> Do you all find that you need  to set up your mail servers using these
> two (domainkeys and spf) methods for verifying non-spam?

No. Neither of them will really  block that much spam. SPF may currently
help you block more spam than DomainKeys though.

You will get better results with RBLs and greylisting than both of these
combined.

> They both seem like a bit of a hack.

They are, although  SPF is moreso. DomainKeys was better  thought out in
my opinion, but still doesn't help block  much. I have found that I have
actually blocked  legitimate messages with  both SPF and  DomainKeys and
even caused a few legitimate messages to be blocked by SPF.

> I'm just kinda  wondering what your experiences are.  What is plug.org
> doing?

With respect to  DK I don't believe it should  do anything. With respect
to SPF, I believe SPF and mailing lists don't play well together.

Note, my email probably has a DK...  Not that it has helped in anything.
:-)

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
  9:35pm  up 102 days,  6:13,  2 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.15, 1.13