printing to a windows printer

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Sep 29 07:58:56 MDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:54:46PM -0600, Alex Esplin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been trying to print to the printer attached to my Windoze
> computer for a week or two now, and I'm having troubles.  I have gone
> through the following tutorials/HOWTOS and am still coming up blank.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html
> http://linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html
>
> I'm a little dense and slow on the uptake as far as some of this is
> concerned, so I might have done something wrong in following through
> the tutorials, but the best I have been able come up with is sending a
> "lp file.txt" command and having it not give me any error messages,
> but not have anything happen at my printer.  Right now I'm getting the
> following:
>
> $lp apartments.txt
> lp: unable to print file: server-error-not-accepting-jobs
>
> Here is the output of:
>
> $smbclient -L Esplins -N
> Domain=[ESPLINS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
>        Sharename       Type      Comment
>        ---------       ----      -------
>        My Documents    Disk
>        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
>        D$              Disk      Default share
>        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
>        G$              Disk      Default share
>        hercprint       Printer   hercules_printer
>        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
>        C$              Disk      Default share
> Domain=[ESPLINS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
>        Server               Comment
>        ---------            -------
>
>        Workgroup            Master
>        ---------            -------

First, on the Linux box, run "lpq" as the user from which you tried to
print. That should indicate several print jobs queued up. So far so
good.

Looking at the output from smbclient, I notice that there is no server
name listed under the Server heading. You may have a problem there,
either with your client setup on the Linux box or with the setup on
the W2K box (more likely). I also don't see a workgroup listed. (But I
use a workgroup; you appear to be using an SMB domain.) Here is what I
see on my network (from a Linux box running Samba):

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        CHARLESC             charlesc's Samba server

        Workgroup            Master
        CURLEYNET            CHARLESC

Next, you don't say what, if anything, you did, to make the CUPS
driver on the Linux box aware of the printer on the Windows box. (I
assume you followed the documents to which you referred, but I haven't
read them.) Make sure that's working correctly. You probably need to
define a CUPS printer that points to a remote SMB printer called
"hercprint" on the W2K server.