printing to a windows printer

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:54:46 MDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to print to the printer attached to my Windoze
computer for a week or two now, and I'm having troubles.  I have gone
through the following tutorials/HOWTOS and am still coming up blank.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html
http://linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

I'm a little dense and slow on the uptake as far as some of this is
concerned, so I might have done something wrong in following through
the tutorials, but the best I have been able come up with is sending a
"lp file.txt" command and having it not give me any error messages,
but not have anything happen at my printer.  Right now I'm getting the
following:

$lp apartments.txt
lp: unable to print file: server-error-not-accepting-jobs

Here is the output of:

$smbclient -L Esplins -N
Domain=[ESPLINS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

       Sharename       Type      Comment
       ---------       ----      -------
       My Documents    Disk
       IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
       D$              Disk      Default share
       print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
       G$              Disk      Default share
       hercprint       Printer   hercules_printer
       ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
       C$              Disk      Default share
Domain=[ESPLINS] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

       Server               Comment

       Workgroup            Master

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks