XP Linksys DHCP Hatred

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 12:37:11 MDT 2005

> >I might agree with you if it weren't for openvpn, but setting up openvpn
> >is MUCH simpler than playing firmware games with your router. Maybe
> >you'd like to know that openvpn is very easy to work with NATs and
> >firewalls (just forward port 1194 udp), runs on linux, windows, and mac,
> >and uses time-proven openssl libraries, and is quite simple to configure
> >compared to ipsec or pptp or other vpn technologies.
> >

> I agree, there is nothing to setup for OpenVPN... very simple. The
> router does not have to do anything but let
> the OpenVPN port through. I choose it for its simplicity and
> transparancy to NAT.

OpenVPN sounds very cool and I plan to look into it. Does it require a
custom VPN client on Windows?

I could be wrong since I havent tried it yet, but Id beg to differ on
the claim that setting up OpenVPN is *easier* than doing the same in a
custom firmware. You already said you updated to the latest linksys
firmware. Updating to a custom firmware takes exactly the same effort.

1) Upload custom firmware (you already updated to the latest linksys
one - it takes the same ammount of time)
2) clicking the "on" button for VPN feature
3) type in the username and password and ip range for clients
4) Profit!