XP Linksys DHCP Hatred

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Sep 27 11:07:00 MDT 2005

The point is I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
(Linksys' firmware)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 at 11:01 -0600, Chris Carey wrote:
> > Im running VPN on the Linksys itself. One Linksys v1.1 running
> > Sveasoft Alchemy 1.0 in one location, and a WRT54G v2.0 box running
> > Freeman 1.0.4 firmware in another.  IMHO Its a lot easer setting those
> > boxes up instead of port forwarding to another VPN system.
> >
> Also I dont believe (using the linksys gui) you can port forward
> protocol 47 (gre) which is necessary for VPN.

I might agree with you if it weren't for openvpn, but setting up openvpn
is MUCH simpler than playing firmware games with your router. Maybe
you'd like to know that openvpn is very easy to work with NATs and
firewalls (just forward port 1194 udp), runs on linux, windows, and mac,
and uses time-proven openssl libraries, and is quite simple to configure
compared to ipsec or pptp or other vpn technologies.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a