XP Linksys DHCP Hatred

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:57:25 MDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> Don Boling wrote:
> > Hans Fugal wrote:
> >
> >> I set up a VPN for a client. They have a small office with DSL
> >> (actiontec modem) and a Linksys router. (didn't catch the model, but the
> >> menus looked like the wrt54g that my dad has)
> >>
> >> In order to get the VPN to work, I had to set up a port forward. But
> >> whenever I'd try to apply those changes the linksys would give me a big
> >> red 404 screen. So I upgraded the firmware and was able to complete the
> >> task.
> >>
> >> Only to discover that now some XP boxes won't get a DHCP address from
> >> the linksys anymore. Other XP boxes are happy to, but these two just
> >> won't. Incidentally the two that have had trouble so far are the two
> >> that have OpenVPN on them now, I state that for completeness because I
> >> don't see how that would make a difference. One of them is a laptop and
> >> is able to get an IP address from the neighbor's wide-open wireless, so
> >> DHCP itself is not crippled.
> >>

> > I am using OpenVPN myself and used to go through my Linksys router until
> > I started having problems
> > like the ones you are describing... I built a OpenBSD Firewall out of an
> > old pc and it hasn't burped since.
> >
> > OpenVPN, Vonage , SSH, Web traffic ... all very easy to setup in PF.
> >
> >> I did change one other thing, stupidly - I set the router dhcp settings
> >> to use a wins server when there isn't one. (I thought it was built-in
> >> functionality in an XP box, oops) Now the finnicky thing won't let me
> >> unset it, so it's still there.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> > I would hold the reset button for 30 secs or whatever is called for to
> > reset to factory defaults and
> > start over... thats all that Linksys support will suggest. (Already
> > wasted time calling them on my issue)
> >
> > --Don
> >
> > /*
> > Don't fear the penguin.
> > */
> >
> Hmm, did the trouble show up when you put on openvpn? Does it go away if
>   there's no openvpn?

Id have to suggest running a newer firmware on that box.

Im running VPN on the Linksys itself. One Linksys v1.1 running
Sveasoft Alchemy 1.0 in one location, and a WRT54G v2.0 box running
Freeman 1.0.4 firmware in another.  IMHO Its a lot easer setting those
boxes up instead of port forwarding to another VPN system.