XP Linksys DHCP Hatred

Don Boling db at gubug.org
Tue Sep 27 10:35:01 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:

>I set up a VPN for a client. They have a small office with DSL
>(actiontec modem) and a Linksys router. (didn't catch the model, but the
>menus looked like the wrt54g that my dad has)
>
>In order to get the VPN to work, I had to set up a port forward. But
>whenever I'd try to apply those changes the linksys would give me a big
>red 404 screen. So I upgraded the firmware and was able to complete the
>task.
>
>Only to discover that now some XP boxes won't get a DHCP address from
>the linksys anymore. Other XP boxes are happy to, but these two just
>won't. Incidentally the two that have had trouble so far are the two
>that have OpenVPN on them now, I state that for completeness because I
>don't see how that would make a difference. One of them is a laptop and
>is able to get an IP address from the neighbor's wide-open wireless, so
>DHCP itself is not crippled.

I am using OpenVPN myself and used to go through my Linksys router until
I started having problems
like the ones you are describing... I built a OpenBSD Firewall out of an
old pc and it hasn't burped since.

OpenVPN, Vonage , SSH, Web traffic ... all very easy to setup in PF.

>I did change one other thing, stupidly - I set the router dhcp settings
>to use a wins server when there isn't one. (I thought it was built-in
>functionality in an XP box, oops) Now the finnicky thing won't let me
>unset it, so it's still there.
>
>Any ideas?

I would hold the reset button for 30 secs or whatever is called for to
reset to factory defaults and
start over... thats all that Linksys support will suggest. (Already
wasted time calling them on my issue)

--Don