XP Linksys DHCP Hatred

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Sep 27 10:10:59 MDT 2005

I set up a VPN for a client. They have a small office with DSL
(actiontec modem) and a Linksys router. (didn't catch the model, but the
menus looked like the wrt54g that my dad has)

In order to get the VPN to work, I had to set up a port forward. But
whenever I'd try to apply those changes the linksys would give me a big
red 404 screen. So I upgraded the firmware and was able to complete the
task.

Only to discover that now some XP boxes won't get a DHCP address from
the linksys anymore. Other XP boxes are happy to, but these two just
won't. Incidentally the two that have had trouble so far are the two
that have OpenVPN on them now, I state that for completeness because I
don't see how that would make a difference. One of them is a laptop and
is able to get an IP address from the neighbor's wide-open wireless, so
DHCP itself is not crippled.

I did change one other thing, stupidly - I set the router dhcp settings
to use a wins server when there isn't one. (I thought it was built-in
functionality in an XP box, oops) Now the finnicky thing won't let me
unset it, so it's still there.

Any ideas?

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a