Relay permission problem with exim4

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Tue Sep 27 08:30:28 MDT 2005

> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:49 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> It's not so much what you set as what you unset. In my config I would
> remove the following line:
>
>         accept  hosts = +relay_hosts

I finally got it to work. The solution was quite simple in the end: switch
to Postfix.

I originally chose Exim because my experience with Exim3 was so
delightful: simple config and fast setup. Exim4 threw all that out the
window by inventing their own turing-complete language for config files.
It was about as easy to read as sendmail's ugly cf files and half as
pretty. After several wasted nights with no progress, I just apt-get
installed Postfix. 2 hours later I had SMTP AUTH and TLS setup and running
beautifully with sasl2. It was a delight to configure. My
/etc/postfix/main.cf is only about 50 lines long (as opposed to Exim4's
massive 2,000-line config), and it worked with my existing Procmail and
Maildir setup out of the box. I'm sold on Postfix. I won't be touching
Exim again.

Thanks to those who helped!

--Dave