Wrong Place Right Time?

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Sep 26 12:06:09 MDT 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 7:24 AM, Dan Sampson wrote:

> First I am sorry for the off topic post.  However, I was hoping
> that you
> all would have more knowledge then I.  I am trying to sell my Golden
> Lap.  Great dog, it just turns out I am more poor then I thought and I
> can't really afford him.  It doesn't hurt that I am also allergic to
> him.

First off let me say how sorry I am to hear about your impending
loss.  Second, let me say that finding a good home is *much* more
important than a price.  Interview each prospective parent to ensure
that he is going to a good home.

I suggest that you talk to all of your neighbors, friends, etc first
as you are more likely to know how they will treat him.  If that
fails, ask them to talk to their friends, and their friends.  Also
visit your local dog parks, as many of those people may be great
parents, or know someone who can be.  And only after you have
exhausted all possible social networking contacts, advertise on
craigslist or the paper, but be careful to interview each prospect
carefully as many may be very bad homes.

Next, reconsider your priorities.  Consider giving up other things
less important.  Remember he was counting on you to honor your
commitment as a parent, and this is not a minor commitment.

Last possible resort, if you are on the verge of homelessness
yourselves, take him to the Humane Society, they will not *kill* him,
and will do their best to find him a good home.

--lonnie
Dog lover, Animal activist, millcreekfidos.org member