[OT] Re: Anyone competing with Zend?

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Sep 26 11:47:51 MDT 2005

On Sep 25, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
>> I don't see any substantial differences. Am I missing something?
>>

> Compare "PLUG message in Mail" with "UPHPU message in Mail." You
> will notice that PLUG's signature begins immediately after my
> message—as in the very next character.

Wade, I think this is a bug in Mail.app.  Since you sign your
messages the message is already MIME multipart.  The PLUG server then
adds another part for the footer, so not to completely break the
signature.  This is a "good thing".

The problem is that Mail.app is displaying the footer right after the
message and ignores the trailing space after your message.  This is a
bug in Mail.app display routines.  This can be verified by comparing
the Squirrel mail display to Mail.app.  Squirrel mail gets it right.

The difference between the UPHPU and PLUG lists, are that the UPHPU
footer includes a blank line *before* the dashed separator line.  If
PLUG were to prepend a blank line to the footer, you would not see
this problem.  However, changing something that *should* work just
for a single bad mail client is not the right way to fix the problem.

Work-arounds, stop signing messages to PLUG, ignore the problem and
just highlight/copy/paste URLs at the end of messages, use a
different mail client.

FYI: I use Mail.app too.  I like it, and I will just be ignoring the
problem until it is fixed.

--lonnie