Peer 2 Peer

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Mon Sep 26 08:42:16 MDT 2005

Michael Halcrow wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 04:07:15PM -0600, Dennis wrote:
>

>>I'm playing around with some p2p stuff for school.
>>

>Are you just playing, or are you trying to do real research in P2P?
>Are you trying to find hey in a heystack, or are you trying to find a
>needle in a heystack?

Good question :D.  I'm doing a survey to start off with, and I have most
of the frameworks you mentioned below on my list already.  What I'd like
is to find an implementation of some of them that I could play around
with so I can get a more "practical" or working knowledge of exactly how
they work.

>If you are serious about an academic investigation of P2P, then I
>recommend you forget about Gnutella, KaZaA, or any other
>``best-effort'' shoot-from-the-hip solutions out there. Nobody in
>academia takes these popular ``unstructured'' P2P apps seriously; you
>will never get published in a reputable journal with any work you do
>based on them. Various researchers (inspired by the likes of Greg
>Plaxton) have been doing research in ``structured'' P2P solutions for
>some time, like PRR, Tapestry, Pastry, and Chord. Hypercube routing is
>currently the most promising mechanism for consistent, dependable,
>comprehensive, and efficient P2P networks.
>
>I recommend you read this paper before you go any further:
>
>http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/lam/Vita/Cpapers/LiuLam03new.pdf
>
>(Disclaimer: I am currently taking an advanced networking protocols
>graduate class from Dr. Lam, the co-author of that paper).

Thanks, I'll check that out too.

>It turns out that there are very good solutions out there that
>simultaneously satisfy the constraints of (1) deterministic location,
>(2) routing locality, (3) load balance, and (4) dynamic membership. If
>you are going to spin your wheels in the academic P2P arena, you need
>to be working with solutions that have some degree of respect within
>that community.

Well understood.  After this paper, I begin work on my Thesis :( so I
know all about it.