OpenLDAP development question, long shot

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Sat Sep 24 19:26:09 MDT 2005

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Having received a speedy answer to my bind question, I now challenge the
> community with the following.  Has anyone on this list happened to do
> any OpenLDAP development (as in work on the OpenLDAP code) or on
> OpenLDAP overlay development?  I need to start a new project building a
> couple of openldap overlays (as shared libraries) and I'm drowning in a
> sea of undocumented APIs, cryptic header files, crappy pseudo-hungarian
> notation, 3-page long structures, etc.  Conceptually I understand what's
> going on.  I am on the OpenLDAP-devel list and plan to ask more
> questions there, but I don't want to sound like a complete idiot.

Two words: Good luck.

For years, I've been expecting OpenLDAP to become the Apache of LDAP,
but it just hasn't happened. As such, you can expect minimal support
when hacking slapd code. Are you sure that Fedora Directory Server can't
do what you want out of the box? Last I checked it was considerably more
featureful.

--Dave