Peer 2 Peer

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sat Sep 24 15:26:39 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 16:15 -0500, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:36:54PM -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> > Michael Halcrow wrote:
> > >If you are serious about an academic investigation of P2P, then I
> > >recommend you forget about Gnutella, KaZaA, or any other
> > >``best-effort'' shoot-from-the-hip solutions out there.
> >
> > Two questions for Mr H:
> >
> > Does BitTorrent fall into this category as well, or does it command
> > more respect in the academic P2P community?
>
> From what I know about BitTorrent, it depends on a tracker, so it
> fails to satisfy the third requirement in the list I gave (routing
> information is not evenly distributed among the hosts in the network).

For now, that's true. They're working on a trackerless version where
effectively very client is a light weight tracker. That's probably a
good thing. I've heard of popular trackers getting really slammed even
from the relatively little amount of bandwidth, which for a widely
downloaded file can still be substantial.

        http://www.bittorrent.com/trackerless.html

Corey