Peer 2 Peer

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Sat Sep 24 15:15:33 MDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:36:54PM -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> Michael Halcrow wrote:
> >If you are serious about an academic investigation of P2P, then I
> >recommend you forget about Gnutella, KaZaA, or any other
> >``best-effort'' shoot-from-the-hip solutions out there.
>
> Two questions for Mr H:
>
> Does BitTorrent fall into this category as well, or does it command
> more respect in the academic P2P community?

From what I know about BitTorrent, it depends on a tracker, so it
fails to satisfy the third requirement in the list I gave (routing
information is not evenly distributed among the hosts in the network).

> Have you studied mobile agent architecture as well?

A bit, as an undergrad w/ Dr. Clement @ BYU. I will be studying more
on that later this semester in Dr. Lam's class @ UT Austin, starting
at the end of October:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/lam/396m/schedule2005.html

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

Diogenes, having abandoned his search for truth, is now searching
for a good fantasy.