Asterisk and the big bad echo

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sat Sep 24 11:41:28 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 10:36 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 00:57 -0600, Corey Edwards wrote:
> > Now with a T1 or other digital lines it shouldn't ever be a problem.
> That's part of my frustration.  It shouldn't be a problem (on PRI here)
> and most of the time it's not.  But every now and again it happens.

If it makes you feel any better I've got an NEC PBX at work that uses a
proprietary VoIP protocol. Even after paying a fortune for such a beast
we still get echo once in a while.

> > For me, I think I'll be switching to a VoIP provider at some point.
> > NuFone looks pretty good for an Asterisk provider.
>
> I like them OK.  I use them at home for outgoing when Broadvoice flakes
> out.  My dial plan will use them if I dial a "9" before the number.
> They don't have local DIDs and I don't want to pay for the 800 number.
> Their quality is OK but not rock solid.

There's no extra charge for an 800 number through Nufone, just for a
Michigan DID.

> On the other hand Asterisk and PRI (vs VoIP) has been solid.  If I could
> just loose the occasional echo.  BTW, I read on the mailing list the
> echo suppression is going to be much better in 1.2.  I don't know
> anything about it, it's just what I've read.

That would be really nice. /me drools

Corey