Asterisk and the big bad echo

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Sep 23 19:17:53 MDT 2005

Well, now that I'm sure there are Asterisk uses on the list, I have a
question.

Echo is the #1 problem with any install of Asterisk that I have done.
Echo has many potential causes but is basically side-tone that is
delayed to the point that it is occurring perceptibly later then your
voice.  It is always the near side (your voice) that you hear coming
back at you.  The other party never notice anything.  This side-tone is
good for letting your users know how loud they are talking but really
causes more pain then good.  So, I want to know, is there a way to tell
asterisk that I don't want *any* side-tone?  Just drop it and the
potential for echo goes with it.  What have you all done for this?

typical set up:
SIP -- ASTERISK -- T1-PRI -- PSTN

Thanks,
Gabe