BIND problem

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Sep 22 16:13:38 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 15:48 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> We have a situation where we need to override an authoritative domain,
> but only for a specific name.  For example, inside our network, we need
> host1.domain (which isn't a domain that we manage) to resolve to a
> special ip address that is inside our network.  For all other *.domain
> we want to pass on the requests to the canonical server for that domain
> and get back the ip addresses as normal.
>
> Is there anyway to do this with bind9?

Yes. Define a zone with the name you want.

        zone "foo.example.com" {
        	type master;
        	file "db.foo.example.com";
        };

Then in that zone definition:

        $TTL 3D
        foo.example.com. SOA example.com. hostmaster.example.com. \
        	2005092201 86400 900 86400 3600
        foo.example.com. NS  your.bind.server.
        foo.example.com. A   127.0.0.1

I'm doing that for a few zones, actually. The one caveat is that
subdomain.foo.example.com will *not* work. Generally speaking, that
shouldn't be a problem.

Corey