OT - Gas to hit 4.00 -- UPDATE Now predicted to hit 5.00 in two weeks

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:58:32 MDT 2005

O'Reilly had his talking points memo on gas prices last night.  It is
a very interesting read.  He wants to find out who sets the price for
a gallon of gas.  He ends up stating we should use less gas (which I
agree with).  I have tried to cut back 20-30% in the last few weeks
but not driving to lunch every day, car pooling when possible, not
making extra trips, etc etc

One interesting quote is:
"Eight governors have now asked President Bush to investigate alleged
price gouging. Those governors base their assertions on a study done
by University of Wisconsin economist Don Nichols, who says for
gasoline to cost $3 a gallon, the barrel price that OPEC charges would
have to be $95. Since OPEC is presently charging $58 a barrel,
Professor Nichols concludes the USA oil companies have some explaining
to do."

Granted, the gas companies can charge whatever they want, but it would
be nice if they just told us the truth instead of blaming other
factors.