A though on how to deal with OT threads...

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Thu Sep 22 10:17:22 MDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:58:41 -0600, "Grant Robinson"
> <santiago at mr-r.net>
> said:
>> Of course the ideal situation would be to have everyone voluntarily
>> mark off-topic posts with [OT] in the subject line, but things which
>> require changes to human behavior have non-deterministic success
>> rates.
>> :)
>
> Or just have a separate mailing list.  Some people seem to get their
> panties in a twist even if you mark thing [OT].

I thought of that as well.  However, that idea was tried on the BYU
UUG, and that didn't work out so well.  People posted to it for a
while, but then the posts dried up, and there are still OT posts on the
regular list (though not quite as many as PLUG recently).  That's
another of those "changing human behavior" things. :)

Grant