OT - Gas to hit 4.00 -- UPDATE Now predicted to hit 5.00 in two weeks

Jason Hall jason at infogenix.com
Thu Sep 22 09:49:27 MDT 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 22:05, Doran Barton wrote:
> Incidentally, I heard on the radio the 2007 Chevy Tahoe is going to be a
> major redesign for fuel economy. It's supposed to get something like 28 MPG
> and they're pushing it to market as far ahead of schedule as possible.

Actually, this has been comign for a while.  Toyota and GM partnered a few
years back on the vortec engines, which first gave GM some decent quality
again.  After that they started working on new lines, specifically gearing
for next years release of Full-size vehicles with hybrid engines.  So the
Toyota TUndra, Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon, and GM trucks will start having
Diesel-Electric engines available.  I believe these are the 4th gen hybrids
(whereas the prius is an example of the the 2nd or 3rd gen) and supposed to
be quite a bit more efficient.  Not only that, having a diesel engine has
extra benefits of being much more reliable, as well as being able to burn
Bio-diesel (if we could ever get it out here).  Worst case, you could set up
your own fry-oil filter :)

Supposedly these engines have all the torque needed on the heavier duty
vehicles, but especially at lower speeds (city driving) you'll see the
biggest gain in efficiency.  Makes sense to target that, since that's where
they currently take the biggest hit.

--
Jayce^

--