Linux programming position

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:47:51 MDT 2005

Dennis wrote:

>Jason Hall wrote:
>

>>On Wednesday 21 September 2005 11:30, Derek Davis wrote:
>>

>>>Flame away. :)
>>>

>>Actually, you noted that you are looking for what's likely a part-time,
>>student position, I think it's a great post (besides the whole any job post
>>is good thing).  You don't seem to expect some graduate with tons of
>>experience.
>>
>>When I was a student, I would have liked to have seen an opportunity like
>>that.  Sure, it's not what you'd want full time, but it specifically states
>>it isn't.
>>

>How many of you had experience with Linux and Hardware detection when
>you were a student?  When I learned Linux in School (Around 98-99), we
>focuses on Installation, configuration, command line programs etc.
>

>>Congrats on applying the knowledge learned in previous flames :)

>>Don't fear the penguin.
>>*/
>>

>/*
>PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
>Don't fear the penguin.
>*/

I don't think thats the point.  The fact is AFAIK know school teaches
hardware detection, except the school of hard knocks, and cheap chinese
knock off components.  The fact is if you've ever tried to get obscure
unsupported hardware going, you probably have experience with hardware
detection.
And when it comes down to it, lspci is usually all you need to know ;)