Relay permission problem with exim4

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Sep 21 11:49:44 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:49 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 07:04 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> > Can you post your entire rcpt acl, and the list of relay hosts?
> >
> > For reference, here's mine:
>     <snip/>
>
> I'll have to post my file later, but in the mean time, I've discovered
> another curious fact. In Thunderbird, it never asks me for a password when
> sending email. I guess this means that exim4 is not requiring SMTP clients
> to authenticate. What do I need to set in my config to require
> authentication for all SMTP clients?

It's not so much what you set as what you unset. In my config I would
remove the following line:

        accept  hosts = +relay_hosts

That forces it to drop to the authentication section. Users would still
be able to send mail to users in your domain without authentication
though, since disabling that would make normal mail delivery stop
working as well.

Corey