Opera is now Free

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Tue Sep 20 15:09:29 MDT 2005

Thus said Ross Werner on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:48:57 MDT:

> > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > Well I didn't imply that mozart free is equivalent to stallman free.
> > Just that opera free is not mozart free. What I meant by mozart free
> > was public domain, if we want to  be specific, but in any case opera
> > is simply ticket-free and not any other kind of free.
>
> Ah, that makes perfect sense then :-)

That's how I understood his analogy.

> (And actually  it gave  me a  good excuse to  post the  Miserere link,
> which is my favorite copyright-related  story. Who knows if it's true,
> but it sure makes for good reading!)

It was a good  read. I had read another account  before, but the details
were less  specific (didn't  actually mention  the name  of the  work he
reverse  engineered).  Which  brings  up a  point...  wouldn't  this  be
considered reverse engineering? According to the story he never actually
saw a copy of the music.

Andy
--
GnuPG ID 0xA63888C9 (D2DA 68C9 BB2B 26B4 8204  2219 A43E F450 A638 88C9)
  3:09pm  up 91 days, 23:47,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00