Opera is now Free

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Sep 20 14:27:29 MDT 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 at 13:22 -0600, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Andy Bradford wrote:
> >Thus said Hans Fugal on Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:58:14 MDT:
> >>Since you forgot to mention it in your fanatic ravings, that's free as
> >>in concert tickets, not free as in Mozart's music.
> >
> >Finally, a  ``free as in...''  statement that  makes sense.
>
> Actually it doesn't make much sense to me at all. "Free as in public
> domain"? Free as in when Mozart circumvented the copy protection on
> Allegri's Miserere? (See:
> http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/works/allegri/miserere.html)
>
> It seems like when people talk about "Free as in Freedom" they're
> typically talking about much more than the ways in which Mozart's music is
> "free".

Well I didn't imply that mozart free is equivalent to stallman free.
Just that opera free is not mozart free. What I meant by mozart free was
public domain, if we want to be specific, but in any case opera is
simply ticket-free and not any other kind of free.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a