[OT] Re: Mortgage

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Sep 20 06:47:40 MDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:26:57PM -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 9/19/05, Michael Halcrow <mike at halcrow.us> wrote:
> > I am horrified by this. I can think of few better ways to stagnate an
> > economy than to encourage this mentality. ``You are punished for
> > producing, so stop worrying so much about producing, and reduce your
> > demand for other peoples' production!'' Brilliant. Absolutely
> > brilliant. I'd love to see where that will get us before too long.
>
> Ugh, that's dumb.  When did economists become altruists?

I can see how you might come to this interpretation after truncating
the remainder of my post.

Now plug the next sentence of my post in:

> I am not blaming you, Sasha, for leaning this way; it's the tax
> system that is mostly to blame at the moment.

You you see that I am really addressing policy, which does influence
human behavior. Strong economic policy should encourage production and
consumption, which is why economists tend to recommend minimizing the
impact of taxes on human behavior.

Mike
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing."
 - Edmund Burke