GnuCash and Budgeting

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Sep 20 01:23:21 MDT 2005

Jordan Gunderson wrote:
> Ross Werner wrote:
>> Now, what I *could* do is set up all my budget "earmarked" categories
>> as actuall GnuCash accounts, and instead of putting money into the
>> "Checking Account" when I get paid, divvy them up into these different
>> accounts. However, that makes reconciling the books a pain in the butt
>> because I'll have to add up all my assets and then add up all my
>> "earmarked" categories and make sure they match, and if they don't,
>> good luck trying to find which category has money missing and why.
>

> I may just completely misunderstand what you are trying to do, but it
> seems like you could just add subaccounts to your Gnucash checking
> account to accomplish exactly this.  Instead of putting your money
> straight into checking, you put 5 dollars into checking-->groceries, etc.
>
> Viewing the checking account shows an aggregate of all the transactions
> made in subaccounts.  You can also view subaccounts individually to
> verify that, of all your money in checking, you still have $2 left for
> computer stuff.

Yep, Gnucash uses the term "account" as loosely as accountants do.  To
Gnucash, an account is a lighter weight concept than a bank account.
Anything that maintains a balance is an account.

FWIW, my wife used Gnucash for two years before its UI quirks finally
drove her to KMyMoney 0.8.  She's happier now.  You might check it out.

Shane