[OT] Re: Mortgage

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Mon Sep 19 20:30:30 MDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:53:22 -0600, "Andy Bradford"
<amb-1064524778 at bradfords.org> said:
> Thus said "Jonathan Ellis" on Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:28:52 PDT:

> ``There is, therefore, nothing short of dramatically rolling back income
> tax rates (good) or eliminating  the income tax altogether (better) that
> will even begin to tame the federal leviathan.''
>
> > I  quit somewhere  around  his hysterical  raving  about baby  sitters
> > becoming tax collectors.
>
> What's so  hysterical about that? If  the government found out  that you
> were making money as a baby sitter, do you think it would just turn away
> and  not make  your customers  pay tax  on it?

How many baby sitters pay income tax on their earnings today?

No, they're not all tax criminals.  Even the federal government isn't
stupid enough to impose a tax when even minimal oversight of its
collection would cost far more than the revenue it brings in.
Particularly not when it would _also_ be a PR nightmare.

This isn't rocket science.

> > I'm  not saying  that fairtax  is perfect,  but quit  swallowing whole
> > everything you read on mises.org.
>
> Swallowing whole? Would you rather I wrote about it at length instead of
> referring to someone else's work that does the job properly for the most
> part?

If writing about it at length prompted you to think about what you were
saying and apply a common-sense filter at a bare minimum, then I think
that would be well worth your time.  Seriously, the babysitter crap was
just the tip of the iceberg.

-Jonathan