[OT] Personal Finances: Was The perfect MP3 player

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sun Sep 18 22:41:10 MDT 2005

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Dave Smith wrote:
> So that's it in a nutshell. What does everyone think? Sound or stupid?

I personally think it's a great plan so long as you're still having a good
time while you're waiting for that dream-filled day when you pay off the
house/retire/whatever. Like I said before, if you're living your life in
misery because you're saving so much money so you can have a debt-free
future, then (at least in my opinion) that's not worth it.

Of course, it doesn't sound like you're miserable at all :-) I imagine you
have your own hobbies and you spend your spare time doing things that you
enjoy doing, like posting to the plug list or whatever. It certainly
doesn't have to be blowing hundreds on mp3 players every couple of years.
(That wouldn't make me happy, anyway.)

But if a person finds himself spending so much on the 401k or mortgage
payments that he can't find any time or money to spend on entertainment at
all, I'd say either cut back on the savings or move into a smaller house
or something, because even if you make it to 50-55, I still don't think
the cost would be worth it. All work and no play etc. I'd rather have tens
of thousands to spend in my 20s and 30s than millions in my 50s and 60s.
(Of course, that opinion may change once I get to my 50s and 60s ;-)

 	~ Ross